EclipseCon 2007 Banner
EclipseCon 2007 Electronic Banner
So today, I sat next to the person who wrote CVS; met guys from IBM, HP, Compuware, Instantiations, and Google; took photos of Kevin and Scott presenting on Eclipse RCP; walked around Silicon Valley companies like intel, AMD, Sun Microsystems, Yahoo!, EMC², Helio, and WebEx; and met our secret undercover Obtiva developer Patrick (don't tell anyone he exists.)
The presenter had us use GWT to build an instant messenger; and indeed the end-result was very similar in basic functionality to messengers like AIM, MSN, or Yahoo. The only big difference was that instant message windows showed up within the browser instead of showing up as separate windows outside.
Some other benefits of using GWT that I was not aware of:
- Support for JUnit (just extend GWTTestCase)
- Support for debugging (just use Eclipse debugging with your Java code)
- RPC remoting support that can be used by rich clients on the platform and not just the GWT generated java-script
- Theming through CSS just like with regular DHTML
Stay tuned for day 2 everyone.
- Next: EclipseCon 2007: Day 2