Monday, June 13, 2022

Giving Montreal.rb Talk: How I Built My Code Editor in Ruby

I am giving a Ruby software engineering presentation at the next Montreal.rb meetup.

Title: How I Built My Code Editor in Ruby

Date/Time: Wednesday, July 6, 2022. Doors open at 6:30pm ET. Talk starts at 7pm ET.

Location: Lexop (my employer) on 506 McGill St Suite 400, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2H6, Canada

Description:

Gladiator is a code editor that was built completely in Ruby. It supports syntax highlighting for over 30 programming languages, split pane, file name lookup, a variety of keyboard shortcuts, undo/redo, find and replace, line jumping, monitoring external file system changes, ignoring uneditable files, expanding to fill the screen, running Ruby code, remembering the last open files, and multi-project support. In fact, I have been using Gladiator for all my code editing needs since May of 2020.

In this talk, I will present Gladiator's features, and then dig into the implementation of every feature in Ruby, covering things like the Model-View-Controller and Model-View-Presenter architectural patterns, how to build custom widgets, how to implement file editing commands, and how to support undo/redo.

Attendees should walk out of this talk with rudimentary knowledge of how to build a code editor in Ruby.

---

If you live in Montreal, or anywhere nearby (e.g. Ottawa), come and join us!

RSVP at:

https://www.meetup.com/montrealrb/events/286529635/

Update 2022-07-09:

The talk video and presentation slides have been posted in this follow-up blog post:

https://andymaleh.blogspot.com/2022/07/montrealrb-2022-07-07-talk-how-i-built.html


No comments: